Training and development
Working at Oakman Inns can open up a whole new world of opportunities. We want to excite you about your future in hospitality, whether you crave a career in the kitchen or a front-of-house management role.
We reckon this is best achieved through our attentive training and on-the-job support, giving you the opportunity to learn, grow and develop your skills with us. We also hope you’ll have a great time doing it.
You’ll have access to a variety of programmes and workshops, all of which hone aptitudes that are central to our ethos as a friendly, quality-focused group of pubs. These include:
- A detailed induction programme when you first join our team
- An e-learning programme in partnership with CPL Learning
- Team management
- Service skills
- Serving wine with confidence
- Cellar training
- Learning via role-play, such as ‘train the trainer’
- Oakman barista training
Other useful stuff
As you develop with Oakman Inns, you may discover a few things that come in handy elsewhere, too. We help you learn more about:
- First aid (course and certificate)
- Fire marshal duties
- How best to approach interviews, selection processes and appraisals
- Developing your people-management skills
Perhaps most importantly, we want you to have something to show for what you’ve learned – aside from the fantastic experience you’ll have with us, of course. That’s why we encourage our employees to pursue the following:
- NVQ qualifications – in the discipline(s) most relevant to your work
- WSET 1 and 2 – formal qualifications from the Wine & Spirit Education Trust
- Oakman barista qualification
Our Management training schemes
Our schemes are designed to suit you; whether you are a graduate seeking a rewarding career in hospitality or a team member seeking growth through our Trainee Manager Scheme. We have two intakes a year for our Graduate scheme so please don’t drag your feet if you’re interested, as it’d be a shame to miss out on a potentially special talent. .
A background in retail or hospitality is preferred – and you’ll need to be ready to gain experience and understanding of all areas of our business; including the restaurant, kitchen, bar, housekeeping, head office and duty management.
Oakman Inns also encourages work experience applications, if you’d like to learn more about the pub business without jumping in feet-first. Contact us for details.